Saratoga National Historical Park Quarter

The final 2015 United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters™ Program coin will be the 2015 Saratoga National Historical Park Quarter. It will also be the thirtieth coin issued in the series which encompasses 56 total strikes during its eleven year run

The Saratoga National Historical Park Quarter design information will not be known until probably early 2014 at the earliest. At that time, the US Mint should be releasing design candidates for all of the 2015 quarters for review by the Commission of Fine Arts and the Citizen’s Coinage Advisory Committee. After their comment, along with other interested parties, the Mint will forward the candidates to the Treasury Secretary who will make the final decision.

Released as the final quarter for the year, it will likely appear in general circulation sometime around November of 2015.

Additional 2015 America the Beautiful Quarter releases for the year include:

Saratoga National Historical Park of New York

Located forty miles north of Albany, New York, the Saratoga National Historical Park preserves the site of the Battle of Saratoga, known as the first major battle in which American Revolutionary forces were victorious over British forces.

The battle (actually two occurring eighteen days apart) took place in 1777 and resulted in the defeat of British forces under the command of British General John Burgoyne’s. Casualties were estimated at over 1,000 British troops killed or wounded compared to only 330 American losses.

With a victory to their name, American forces enjoyed a surge of support, both within the country and from foreign powers. Most notably among these was the new-found ally of France.

A war memorial known as the Boot Monument is located within the park. It honors General Benedict Arnold who served with distinction at the battle. The monument fails to name him, however, as he changed loyalties to the British several years after this battle occurred.

The state of New York preserved the area as a historic preserve in 1927 with it coming under the control of the National Park Service in 1938.