2014 America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set

The 2014 United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set™ debuts from the United States Mint on Tuesday, January 21, 2014. Found in this set are the five America the Beautiful Quarters of the year, each struck from a composition of 90% silver.

2014 America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set
Packaging and the 90% silver coins of the 2014 America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set

When issued, the set is listed to sell for $31.95. That is $10 less than the opening price of last year’s release. No household, order or mintage limits are shown.

Quarters of the set are featured in proof quality which exhibit sharp reliefs and mirror-like backgrounds. The finish is attained utilizing specially treated, polished and cleaned coin blanks which are struck at least twice by polished quarter dies to insure greater detail.

The five America the Beautiful Quarters of the Silver Proof Set include:

  • Great Smoky Mountains National Park (Tennessee) Quarter
  • Shenandoah National Park (Virginia) Quarter
  • Arches National Park (Utah) Quarter
  • Great Sand Dunes National Park (Colorado) Quarter
  • Everglades National Park (Florida) Quarter

The included coins represent the 21st – 25th of the America the Beautiful Quarters, a series that debuted in 2010 and sees five new strikes released annually as part of it. Each quarter honors a different site of national interest with a design emblematic of the location on its reverse.

Specifications and Compositions of Silver Proof Set

As mentioned, the quarters are minted to proof quality from 90% silver. The remaining composition is 10% copper. Accordingly, the five coins of the set total approximately 0.904 troy ounces of silver.

Lens and silver coins of the 2014 America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set
Lens and silver coins of the 2014 America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set

They are produced at the US Mint’s facility in San Francisco and bear the appropriate ‘S’ mintmark. The five coins are encased together in one protective lens which ships inside outer packaging that features images of the sites honored on the coins within.

Popularity and Current Sales

America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Sets enjoy solid sales as one of the Mint’s major products issued annually. The following table offers starting sales and the latest US Mint sales for the first four issues:

2010 – 2013 Silver Proof Set Sales

Year Issued Starting Price Starting Sales Latest Sales*
2010 May 27, 2010 $32.95 75,756 Over 3 Days 274,003
2011 April 1, 2011 $41.95 78,054 Over 23 Days 147,901
2012 Jan. 10, 2012 $41.95 61,181 Over 7 Days 162,448
2013 Jan. 18, 2013 $41.95 49,051 Over 7 Days 127,728

*Sales are as of January 12, 2014. The US Mint continues to sell last year’s 2013 Silver Proof Set but stopped offering the older sets awhile back.

Some may prefer to purchase the five proof silver quarters as part of the larger 2014 Silver Proof Set. This 14-coin set will include proof versions of the circulating coinage for the year with half of them in 90% silver. It is scheduled for release in May at an expected price of $53.95.

Ordering

When released, orders for the 2014 America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set may be placed at the United States Mint website of http://www.usmint.gov/ or by calling its toll free telephone number 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).

Of note, pricing of silver proof sets are subject to change based on significant silver market fluctuations.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *