One of the major United States Mint annual products, the 2010 US Mint Silver Proof Set, was released on Thursday for $56.95.
The set features a total of 14 coins, with half of them composed of 90 percent silver. Of the seven in silver, five are proofs of the 2010 America the Beautiful Quarters™.
In fact, the quarter-dollars within the set are exactly like those contained within the America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set, which the Mint released earlier this year (May 27, 2010) for a price of $32.95.
What makes the 2010 Silver Proof Set stand out are the dime and half-dollar, which are also composed of 90 percent silver. The set is the only way to get these coins in silver. As such, coin collectors have scooped up around 700,000 of them each year since 2008.
The coins within the 2010 Silver Proof Set include:
- (1) 2010-S Lincoln Cent
- (1) 2010-S Jefferson Nickel
- (1) 2010-S Roosevelt Dime (90 percent silver)
- (5) 2010-S America the Beautiful Quarters (90 percent silver)
- (1) 2010-S Kennedy Half Dollar (90 percent silver)
- (1) 2010-S Native American Dollar
- (4) 2010-S Presidential Dollars
This year’s America the Beautiful Quarters, of course, include the:
- Hot Springs National Park Quarter
- Yellowstone National Park Quarter
- Yosemite National Park Park Quarter
- Grand Canyon National Park Quarter
- Mount Hood National Forest Quarter
Because the coins are proof-quality and produced in San Francisco, each bears the "S" mint mark.
The total silver weight of all the coins averages to 1.34 ounces. At the current silver spot price of $19.05 an ounce, that’s $25.53 worth of silver. The five America the Beautiful Quarters themselves include just a touch over 0.9 ounces of the silver.
The 2010 US Mint Silver Proof Set may be purchased directly from the US Mint at http://catalog.usmint.gov/ or by calling 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).